Monday 14 November 2011

Independent Practice Week9:Evaluation and Show

This week was the hand in for the project and i had to write an evaluation:
Starting my final year i was pretty clear of what direction i would be going into, the direction being concept art and 3d modelling. Breaking down the two into separate projects, i felt by doing this i had more freedom and focus on the specific role and would be able to bring quality into my work. The project was starting to take off as i knew what i wanted to produce, with the idea that i had in mind but once again a problem occured similar to my second year's final major project. The problem was all to do with the research, as i had very little of it, showing no background research for my story, ship designs, setting, time and more but being made aware of this early on allowed for a quck recovery.


Along with the hand in we as a course had to set up an exhibition and we were left to set the exhibition up ourselves. I was givin an area that i would fill with my concept art that i believe is my best work to date. I sorted the images added borders, printed and mounted the images onto mount boards which would then be ready to put up on the space on the wall.









But because i wanted to show many images of my work i had taken up two spaces of the wall and with other students showcasing their work i didn't want to place my work up for them to level up their work with mine but to be able to work the images on the wall as one level piece together. With some students unable to make it in on the day i was ready to setup the work and myself unable to make it in the day they would be in i set out post it notes on the places i wanted specific images to go as well as a quick outline on the post it notes showing the placement of the images.






Danny Beckett volunteered to place my images up when the other students would place theirs up as theey would be able to sort out the area of the wall much further but i had planned my area for them, if they wanted to work with my positioning of the images.

I would like to thank Danny Beckett for placing my images up and for Steven Elmes for leaving the post it notes for me to plan my image placements.

Fairly early on before the project started, i decided that i wanted a simple idea for a project to allow as much concept art to be produced but little did i know there is no simple idea. As my simple idea began to manifest, with pile of objectives expecting to be produced and i knew that i would lose focus on my own project because of the amount of work needing to be produced. Due to my project focusing on mainly level designs and being approached by Chris i took on some side work for Chris, in the form of character design and also willing to do some designs for Tom as i understood that his designs would be fairly basic, similar to childrens character designs.

Working with Chris and Tom allowed my skills to be used for their projects giving me experience when working for other people and meeting their deadlines. When working with Chris i was given guidelines to work along but enough freedom to create designs that i wanted and from that i was able to create some of my best work although after constant back and forth discussion on the work the recurring problem that occured was proportions and positioning of limbs, which i will need to work on. However when it came to doing Toms character designs, i was left with a very open mindset as my only rules were to create a basic, fun and crazy design that would stand out for the level he will be creating. I began to feel that having so little limitations that, whatever i produce wouldn't be the design he wanted and so i chose to do some basic sketches to which i chose three to further develop.

Based on the work i produced for both Chris and Tom, their continous communication on the work and their approval of the designs i feel that i met their expectations as well as my own expectations. Doing designs for other projects in between my project allowed me to regain my mindset and giving me a breathe of fresh to look at my project in a different aspect as some of the research that Chris had shown me such as Deus Ex's interior and objects were very smooth and rounded which helped to design my interior. During the early stages of my own project i was able to refine the spacecraft design i wanted as well as the design in scenes before going into the interior of the spacecraft.

Creating the design of the spacecraft, the scenes and the cutaway of the spacecraft i was able to plan the interior of the rooms before going into detail. Around this time i, along with my classmates were scheduled for an intrim crit which i was fairly confident because of the work produced and constantly seeking advice for things to do for my project but i found out that i would need to go back and add measurements for the spacecraft as well as fine tuning my backstory. So before going into interior design for the spacecraft i touched up on my backstory but was failing to get the measurements rights, mostly beacuse with previous designs i never had done measurements but in the end i was able to get the right measurements for the spacecraft.

My overlook to the whole project is a very happy one, i produced designs to standard that i liked, producing for other projects broadened my mind and the end product for my work is sufficient. But from the amount of work i produced i feel i should have really developed what i wanted to from the get go, with my concept art and the development didn't really show until the end of the project which was disappointing. At this point i also felt that although the amount of work produced gave me enough incentive to model my designs, i could have produced more conceptual designs of the control room and i realised the problem had been because i slacked off at the start of the project. But continously getting feedback on what to do, whether this is okay and what should be my expected outcomes, allowed my skills and understanding to be nurtured and grow to a level that i can work from. With the feedback i learned much more than i have before, understanding the why side of the design, the reason behind doing certain things and how it will benefit later production.

At the end i was satisfied with all that i produced learning many faults from this project but also many more advantages whether it be software usages or routes to designing concept art. But with the work that i have created i am now looking forward to developing these ideas and images into 3D modelling but before that i believe we may have a few weeks before the project so maybe i can produce some control room concept art. Although i leave the answer to that question open, if not in the few weeks before maybe at the start of the next project alongside getting reaquinted with maya i could produce more concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment